Friday, February 26, 2016

A Fold Over Crossbody Tote

I've been seeing the folded bag (fold over) concept for a while now. Combine that with the beautiful oval frames use as handles (like in the February 2016 Bag of the Month from Mrs H and on Chloe's Court Clutch by ChrisWDesigns ) and this Tote came to mind.


 I got the oval handles and bag bling from EmmalineBags.com.


It can be used as a crossbody purse but also grabbed by the handles as a Tote. I wanted to use some accent fabrics for interest since the main body area is big. In order to keep the interest on the handles, the top edge shaping and the foldover I kept the construction simple. No pockets outside.


The bottom panel continues from front to back with no seam at the bottom.


The strap is adjustable and is connected to the bag with swivel clasps and D rings on the sides of the Tote. Those seams that hold the strap tabs were really secured. When making a big bag you have to think that it's going to get quite heavy so you should plan for it.


It closes with a recessed zipper on top.


Inside I added a zipper pocket. Maybe on the next one I'll add a slip pocket too with pen compartment since I see this Tote being used as a book back for college students.


I think it looks nice in either of the two ways of using it. I chose a strong gray fabric print from my stash (upholstery) and a thick black canvas. I interfaced with Pellon SF101 and added Peltex to the bottom and the handle section.

So, what do you think? What feature catches your eye first?

Until next time. Happy Sewing!!!


8 comments:

  1. What a great combination. It looks so professional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I always appreciate your input.

      Delete
  2. It's a beauty Norma! I like that it has one strap to wear on your shoulder or across your body, but that you can grab as a tote to is a great idea, especially for shopping or traveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daryl! I made a list of requirements I wanted the Tote to fill and one of them was to be use in either way. I wanted it to look nice if folded and also if not.

      Delete
  3. Really love this style - so professional and versatile! I think Blue Calla's Freesia bag would be great this way, with a top handle instead of the zip closure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Verna! There are several designs of folded bags around. I forgot to mention that it measures 15" wide at the bottom and when opened it measures 18" tall. So is quite big. One of my photos should've include something that will tell the size. That's why I thought it could be a great book bag.

      Delete
  4. Marvellous! And to answer your question, the contrasting fabric caught my attention first. (I find that's the case with most bags.) Second was the oval handles. Interesting how I like the look of a foldover top on a bag but I don't like using one that's made that way... LOL! So are you carrying one of these or are they both destined for "the shop"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle for your input. I just picked this gray fabric because I had plenty of it and got it at a great price. Those oval handles are so nice! I got them to make the Chloe's Ct Clutch and February Bag of the Month and ended up using them for this bag. So I had to order more. This Tote and a second I made are for the shop. My daughter has a folded over bag and she loves it and gave me feedback.

      Delete