Thursday, March 19, 2015

March Bag of Bag of the Month Club 2015

I finally made my March bag for the Bag of the Month Club 2015. The pattern is Campfire Messenger Bag by Noodlehead. You can only get the pattern if you are a Club Member. Which is awesome! Click the link for more information.


From the moment I saw the pattern I loved it. As all the Noodlehead patterns the instructions are very well written and added illustrations show you how to accomplish a well made bag. I've never work with snaps before but really wanted to give it a try. So even thou you could use some other type of closure I went with the recommended with no problem at all. I used Dritz Heavy Duty #24 Snaps.  I bought a kit from a local shop. It included 7 snaps and the tools to install them. Behind the snap packaging there are instructions that helped identify the pieces and show the order in which to install them. It said to use a scissor to make a small hole and that's when my hole puncher tool came handy. I used the smallest hole.


I used a solid gray strong twill as the main fabric, some navy blue Kona solid for accents and strap, and the Viewfinder print from Cotton and Steel for the flap. I love this fabric as I spent quite some nice moments as a child playing with a viewfinder. I interfaced with Pellon SF 101 as recommended plus added Thermolam to the main exterior pieces, flap and gusset.


I like those front pockets so much! Depending on the fabrics chosen I say this will make a nice unisex bag for College students too. Many different models of electronic tablets fit inside plus a couple of notebooks.

I'm already cutting a second one. I'm not sure if I'll be able to sew it soon since my shoulder is acting up a bit. Let's see.

I've seen some beautiful versions of the bag on flickr. Have you sewn your March bag already?

I linked this post to "New to Me" link party at http://celticthistlestitches.blogspot.com.  Every 25th of the month you can share your "New to Me" in her blog.

8 comments:

  1. Nice job Norma. The fabric is great. I am working on my second March bag too. This one will have the thumb latches too as it is an order.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Is great that you get those orders to keep yourself busy.

      Delete
  2. Speaking of fabric, Norma - that "viewfinder" (View Master?) fabric is so cool! Great job on the bag too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rochelle. I used to have a ViewMaster when I was a child. The fabric they call Viewfinder. I was waiting for the right bag to use it and thought this one was good for it. I already made another and I'll post about it soon.

      Delete
  3. Fabulous bag, the Viewfinder fabric was the perfect choice!

    Would love you to link up to the New to Me Link Party when it opens on the 25th to celebrate mastering those snaps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I was waiting for the right bag to use the fabric. Love it too.

      Delete
  4. I love the view finder fabric. Your bag looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot. I had the fabric for a while and was eaiting for the right bag design to feature it.

      Delete