Monday, February 16, 2015

A Blue Calla Pattern

Hi,
As you might know I'm a bit addicted to bag patterns. Although recently I've been thinking that with so many skills learned already, and so many different patterns used I can start making some of my patterns for the bags I sell. I have many doodles and only some have been used. I also like to use patterns from others anyway. There are so many great bag pattern designers out there!! So I got The Iris Bag pattern from Blue Calla Patterns and made this bag. If you want to see her patterns visit her Etsy store here. By the way, I'm not affiliated to her in any way. The fabric is a printed canvas.



The instructions are very well written. And believe me I'm a bit picky about this. There are plenty of pictures too. For the interior I did my own thing and made a zipper pocket and a slip pocket with my own measurements. The one thing I found was that while printing the pieces some where too close to the margins and a line didn't print. But I just cut the pieces a bit bigger and then adjusted when making the seams,  nothing mayor.

I used some bag bling from Emmaline Bags. She has a new one that says "Handcrafted" without stating where it was made. I ordered some as soon as I learned they were out and received them just in time for this bag. Love the look. You can find it here.


I will definitely will be using the pattern again. I will probably try to make the bag a bit bigger. I don't know if it happens to you all bag sewers but I've been looking at women bags every time I go out. I notice most of them use huge bags. I don't use big  bags because the bigger the more junk you carry and then the shoulders hurt. I like to be practical and not abuse my little body!!

I have run out of Pellon Fusible Woven SF101 and I'm waiting for my order. I don't know why the bolt has only 10 yrds. I once found a 25 yd bolt but can't find it anymore, so I buy two bolts at a time. I use this stuff a lot. Maybe I should try working something out with Pellon. LOL. Wishful thinking!! For now I'll probably just cut some fabric while I wait. Or maybe do some housework. LOL.

Until the next time. Happy Sewing!!!

10 comments:

  1. Great pattern, great fabric and great job, as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I hope you are feeling well and sewing.

      Delete
  2. It is a gorgeous bag, Norma. Good for you for using variations on it! I'm looking forward to some of your own designs, too.

    That's interesting you mentioned that the SF101 bolts come in 10yds. I noticed that on JoAnn's website, they came in a 10 yard bolt, but when I bought a full bolt at the store, it was 15 yards. Either way, it doesn't last long, does it? :)

    I look at bags, too, and I don't carry large bags for the same reasons as you--I like looking at hardware on the bags and thinking, :Can I get that anywhere?" Sometimes it's possible. It's fun to explore the possibilities.

    I wish you all success....

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! I know that when I order the SF101 from Joann it comes directly from Pellon. I guess all of us look at bags when we go out. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Hello Norma,
    I've seen your name mentioned many times on Shades of Bold and thought I'd check it out today. Love the bag above and will probably have to buy the pattern if it's available.
    FYI - I just purchased 10 yd bolts of SF-101, in white, on Overstock.com for $29.97, with free shipping and no tax. This is about the best I can do, other than scoring a bolt or 2 at Joanns when they go on sale for 50%. But, I usually need it before it goes on sale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz. Welcome to my blog. You can get the pattern from her Etsy shop. Just click on the link above. Too bad overstock doesn't ship to PR. I even wrote to them once saying we use USPS here but just got sent a generic email. I get my bolts from Joann.com and it's almost always on sale plus I add a coupon if available. Thanks for the info. Keep sewing.

      Delete
  4. OMG!!! I've missed so many of your posts. Bloglovin hasn't been sending me notifications. I just happened to be thinking of you and wondering why you hadn't been around so came to make sure and found you have been posting but I hadn't been informed. I always enjoy seeing your bags. They're so well made and look so professional. I love the style of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow I never replied to your comment. Sorry. Strange that Bloglovin didn't notified of my posts. I guess it happens. Good you missed me. Aw!! So nice. I already made a second one with this pattern. I should write a post or two soon.

      Delete
  5. Yup! I like smaller bags too but I notice the size bag others carry as well! And I feel your pain in the SF101! I order it two bolts at a time as well. I'm down to half a bolt or so and am hoping it goes on sale again soon (got it for $2.10/yd last two times I ordered...should have just bought five!). Would love to see some of your designs! I. Working on my first one now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting and sorry I missed replying. Yes, when the SF101 is on sale we must stock up. Keep following my blog and you'll see all the bags I make. Is addictive so I had to have a shop. LOL Do you have a blog?

      Delete