Friday, January 23, 2015

My January Bag 2015

I finally made my January Bag from The Bag of the Month Club: The Companion Carpet Bag by Samantha at Sewing Patterns by Mrs. H. I was obsessing over which fabric to choose. I wanted the bag to have a certain feel... a bit classy but still modern. Then I ordered the tube frame a bit late. But even after I got it I still wasn't sure which fabric to use. Until I finally decided on this fabric. Here it is:


I made some decisions as I went along, like adding the tab on front. Then I was sure I wanted to use some bag bling from Emmaline Bags right on the tab. This bag really needed the bling to say "Classy".


After that, I started to play with ideas on how to add the straps. I have some brown leather (genuine) and I wanted to use it but wasn't sure if I wanted tabs for the handles. I even took a look at some ready made online. I discovered that if I wanted to use brown ready made handles they only come with antique bronze hardware, no nickel or silver color was found. Did you notice that? I mainly checked on Etsy. So that made me go forward with my own handmade leather straps with my brown grommets. I installed purse feet as instructed in the pattern.


I just love the final result! Samantha did a great job designing this purse and writing the instructions and pattern. After the Bag was made I looked at it and smile thinking: "Wow, look at what I just made!!" I'm very proud of it. Thanks Samantha. Is so cute when you look at it opened!! I used a 12" tube frame so the bag is quite roomy.


 I really think this one is a keeper. I'll use it when I travel as one of my "carry-ons". I just finished it a while ago and I can't wait for my hubby and daughter to get home to show them. Yey! I finished before February. I'm ready for the next bag pattern!!!

21 comments:

  1. Stunning work, Norma! LOVE it! Yes I have noticed that about the hardware too....I would have thought it would be nickel that would be on the handles BUT noooo....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine. It means a lot coming from you. The only nickel hardware on ready made handles I saw was on white handles.

      Delete
  2. Love it, Norma. The colors are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I'm very picky when I match a pattern with fabric. I'm glad it worked out.

      Delete
  3. Lovely Norma. I am still waiting for my handles, so I won't be done until Feb. some time and will have to catch up. Good for you for getting your bag done this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daryl. I'm sure you'll be able to catch up. If not during February then March. :-)

      Delete
  4. wow Norma the bag is gorgeous, the fabric is perfect and so the handles. You did a great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. I was wondering about you. Haven't heard of you for a while. I hope things are well.

      Delete
  5. That's a beautiful bag, Norma! The "bling' on the tab and the tab itself is really classy and attractive. You made a great choice for the handles--I've noticed the same thing about the ready-made handles at JoAnn's--they only had the antique bronze finish, too. I have never seen brown rivets, but now I will need to look for them--they were an excellent choice for this bag!

    I hope you have fun carrying and using your bag! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! Actually the brown rivets I got at a factory that was closing some time ago. I also got the leather and a lot of goodies like zippers, magnetic snaps and other. I was a lucky girl.

      Delete
    2. Indeed, you were! :) They went to the right person!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Liz. You inspired me to use my own leather handle.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely bag, Norma…I think you nailed 'classy and modern'! I've made this bag too, and it is a really easy to follow pattern…once you get over the fear of using a frame! I love what you did with it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth. I love how it turned out. I'm very picky when using a certain fabric with a bag design.

      Delete
  8. It's crazy classy. Definitely a keeper. : )

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love this! So modern and classy! May I ask what the beautiful fabric is?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The fabric is a Home Dec Cotton from Premier Prints.

      Delete