Monday, October 27, 2014

Two Fast Bags I Made from Nap Kitten

I bought a pattern from Nap Kitten. It's The Zippered Hobo Bag with Knots. I just noticed is not on her shop right now. Maybe it needs to be restocked. It's been on my list for a while now because I wanted to make bags with that kind of zipper closure. So I've made two of them already.



This design is a simple one with no pockets in the exterior. Both bags I made using canvas fabric interfaced with Pellon SF101. I like the relaxed feeling the bags have. I omitted the beautiful knots for now because I used prints. I think the knots work better with a solid exterior fabric. Here's a picture of the bag shown with the pattern. Aren't those knots beautiful?


Although it's a very nice bag the instructions can be a bit tricky if you've never made a bag before. The pictures help a lot. There's no mention of opening the zipper before closing off the exterior main pieces after the zipper is already attached. That can lead to a bit of a problem when you can only access the zipper from the back and is closed!! On the first bag I opened it first but on the second I forgot. Maybe I got too confident. I just reached to it through a little hole where the strap tabs will go. :-) I just need to make a note for the next time. I also opted to use a leather strap for these. The pleats on the bottom are very nice and give the bag to such a nice rounded bottom.



In the interior there's the usual zipper and slip pockets. I lined both with quilting weight fabric. This one is a bag you can make in a day with time to spare.

 Both bags are available in my etsy shop: www.NormasBagBoutique.etsy.com

10 comments:

  1. Both of them are cute Norma. I love how they hang. The knots are gorgeous but you are right, the solid color really sets them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. Their relaxed look is great.

      Delete
  2. Thanks Norma for 'real' bag feedback. It is not helpful if all folks point out are the best parts of a pattern and not the difficult parts or bits that just don't work. Not all patterns are equal and it helps to know before purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice pattern...love the first one...reminds me of my hippie days ...LOL
    I little knots adorable...will have to try that !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little bit of hippie somewhere hidden in me. That's my favorite too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful bags and the knots are really pretty and effective but you're right they would work best on plain fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. Let's see when will I get to do the knots original version.

      Delete
  5. they are beautiful but the first one I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. The first one is Liz and my favorite too.

      Delete