Hello my Sewing buddies,
Sorry for being away for a bit too long. I've done some sewing but not a lot. My house needed a bit of TLC and I ran out of Pellon Woven Fusible Interfacing SF101.
I like to buy it by the bolt at Joann.com specially if I can get it at half a price because is on sale or using a coupon. So I waited too long to place the order and the horror.... being without it.
I gave my etsy shop some TLC meanwhile and started cutting the Olivia Bag Pattern from Christine at Chris W Designs. Quite some time ago I won a giveaway for 2 of her patterns. I picked The Abigail and the Olivia patterns. This was before I started testing for her. I'm sure those were the most complicated ones she had at the moment. Then, after reading the instructions and printing the pattern pieces, I was just a bit afraid and felt like I wasn't prepared to sew one of them. So now I finally thought it was about time to tackle them and I started with the Olivia.
This is for sure an advance level pattern. This bag is much bigger than what I thought. There are many pieces to cut. It took me quite some time to finish but the results are great. I just had to follow the instructions given carefully. There are many photos included in the instructions that help a lot. Every single piece has a paper pattern so you just have to keep yourself organized. I chose a quilting cotton even though Home Decorator weight was recommended. I used Pellon SF101 and Thermolam Plus in all exterior main pieces. For the bottom I used Peltex.
I'm not too sure the fabric selection was the best. There's something
about this bag that bothers me and I'm not sure what it is. Asking
around the house my husband and daughter say that the fabric makes the
features disappear a bit. I'm not completely sure if that's what bothers
me. They say it could be that since the lines on the print are a bit curvy it looks wrinkled. They really don't like the fabric at all. What do you think? Don't get me wrong; I know is not the design. The features are
awesome since it gives you a lot of pockets and details. Maybe next one
I'll do with a solid canvas fabric.
There are 5 pockets outside; two with flap and magnetic snaps, two at the sides with elastic and a zippered at the back. Inside there's a big zippered pocket and a slip pocket divided into two sections. The main compartment closes with a recessed zipper.
My niece has an Uptown Girl Bag (Pattern also by Chris W Designs). I made it last January and she loves it. You can see it here. Someone she knows asked her about it and checked it up thoroughly. She fell in love! So she wanted one exactly the same but since I had ran out of the tiny beige houndstooth fabric I offered her the option of a bigger black and white houndstooth fabric. And here it is. I just finished it. Well, except that my husband needs to hammer the rivets securely. That's his job! :-)
It looks a lot like the first one, but that's what she wanted. It took me less time to make this second time. Maybe because the first time I was testing the pattern, I'm sure. This bag is very sturdy. I used canvas fabric and still interfaced with SF101 and Thermolam Plus. The bottom base has Peltex and some nice bag feet. I made the straps out of the same fabric but didn't use grommets to attach them; just some rivets.
Recently I was very lucky and won three patterns from Emmaline Bags on the Craft Buds Craft Book Month giveaway. Since I have many already I got to pick the ones I didn't have; The Steph in the City, The Spring Sling and Boyd St. Bowling Bag. Wow! I have all except the Quarter Note Clutch. I also bought a couple more bag patterns. I think I'm addicted to bag patterns! Oh my!!!! I've started making a "match making" list with patterns and fabrics to use. This helps me keep focus on which bag to make next. I should include some Get Carded Wallets just to use those small pieces of interfacing I keep saving. You'll be seeing them soon....