Thursday, September 25, 2014

Two Emmaline Bags

Back in November of last year I shared an Emmaline Bag I made here. Back then I modified the pattern by adding some height to the bag. After this I kept thinking and looking at bags women carry. I noticed that most of the big bags out there close with a zipper. Since I love the Emmaline bag Pattern I made the purpose of working on adding a zipper closure. I can still make it either with or without. And here are my results:




Yes, I made two of them, both with chevron canvas fabric. I made one first to be sure it worked and then the other to be sure and to write down all the details for next time. I first added the height and then divided the lining in two parts to insert the zipper. Of course seam allowances for the zipper were added too. For the top portion I used the exterior fabric since it's going to be in the exterior. Here's how it looks from the top.




I used wide handbag zippers (#5) and added a zipper tab at the other end. I also topstitched the zipper seam towards the lining so the zipper won't get caught on the lining fabric. I made both a slip pocket and zippered pocket inside. A key chain holder was added too since the bag is big to facilitate the search for the keys.



Here are the two ends of the zipper. This method of adding the zipper allows the bag to open wide.



If you don't have this pattern you are missing on something great. Go get it at www.EmmalineBags.com

So, what do you think about this addition to the bag?

12 comments:

  1. With or without a zip they both look great and the fabrics are really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a zip top on a big bag, I always worry I'll knock my bag over and everything will spill out showing the world that really, I'm terribly messy inside my handbags!!

    I hate sewing zipper tabs though, did you see my lazy cheat to them on Sew Mama Sew? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Samantha! I thought about that too. Yes, I saw your tutorial on zipper tabs. I don't mind making them with fabric. I'm surprised you commented, aren't you about to give birth? I wish you the best.

      Delete
  3. Nice additions, Norma. I have made two of these bags in the past and I agree that adding a zipper sure makes it a better bag. Not to mention the other additions. Many tmes I see things that I would like to change and just don't take the time or the effort to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I love to put my stamp on it with some modifications.

      Delete
  4. Good for you Norma figuring out the zipper to add to this bag. I like a zipper on a large bag too, so that it's secure and safe. They both look great in the chevron fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daryl. Now that I've heard some opinions I'm glad I added the zipper.

      Delete
  5. such a good idea to adapt a pattern you know and love. I love the attention to detail like the key fob :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! I do love this one and I can see myself making more of them with the zipper. The key fob is helpful in such a big bag.

      Delete
  6. gorgeous!! I love these bags and the zipper is a great addition. I have been meaning to design the Emmaline Bag 2.0 with a zipper closure and a few alterations. I think I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle! Go ahead. We, your fans, will be waiting.

      Delete