Monday, September 29, 2014

My Second Totes Ma Tote Bag from Emmaline Bags

So here I show you another Totes Ma Tote Bag made from a pattern from Emmaline Bags.

I like the simplicity yet elegance of this design. I had decided a while ago I wanted to use this canvas fabric for this bag. Then my first one sold on my etsy shop and I just had to get to it.


As you can see I used leather straps and rivets again. After I cut all the pieces and was about to start sewing I realized I didn't have an accent fabric for the "side seams cover". I like the feature so I just shopped my stash until I found a Fat Quarter of this one with dots.


I used purse feet at the bottom as recommended. It gives the bag a very sophisticated and professional feel.


 I ordered a zipper to match from Zipper Island at Etsy. They are great. They carry a very good inventory in handbag zippers.


Here's the bag opened. Inside there's a big slip pocket with a tab and magnetic snap as closure for an electronic tablet (iPad, etc). They're two additional pockets on the other side: one slip divided in two and a zippered one.

I used SF 101 woven interfacing on all pieces, even lining and canvas exterior. I also added Thermolam Plus on two main exterior pieces and bottom plus Peltex for bottom. I love the feel and how sturdy it is. It stands on its own. I recommend using these interfacings or Soft and Stable because it gives the bag a very nice stability and feel, as a non handmade feel.

Have you sewn this pattern yet? Which are your go to interfacings?


14 comments:

  1. It's a beautiful bag, Norma! The side seams cover piece is a really nice touch. Did you also make a little leather "label" or is that purchased? Either way, another classy feature! I also like how you designed the interior and chose those colors. Very professional! :)

    I use pretty much the same types of interfacings that you do. I like Peltex for bag bases--that seems to work well. Sometimes I also like to use the Pellon 911 interfacing when I like a firmer but less bulky structure.

    I have not sewn this pattern yet--but it is definitely on my "some-day" list! :)

    Krista

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista for stopping by. For the interior I just did as recommended by the pattern. Janelle did a great job in the pocket combination. The "label" I cut myself from a piece of leather I got some time ago, the same I've been using for the straps. I cut the straps the width I want with the rotary cutter. The label still doesn't have my name but I thought it needed something there. My label with name I use in the interior. I don't think people will like to have my big name showing in the exterior. Maybe if I had another name for my business. Good that this pattern is on your list. Janelle is having a coupon sale now, check here: http://www.emmalinebags.blogspot.com/2014/09/5-days-of-giveaway-day-2-plus-sale.html

      Delete
  2. Beautiful, Norma. I love this bag. I have made 2 of them so far. Love your leather straps, too. Myy favorite interfacing is SF 101. I used Soft and Stable on this bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I remember the one you did with big bold flowers! Beautiful! I think every bag maker uses SF101. Is great!

      Delete
  3. Great colors for this tote Norma. I think you are the queen of chevron fabric, lol!!! I made this tote and pieced a scrappy chevron on mine, lol...see what you got started? I used a similar interfacing to SF 101 and I used a fusible fleece. I do like using Soft and Stable on some of my bags too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Queen?! Oh my! I do love chevrons. I find them elegant. The colors of this one are great!

      Delete
  4. I love that bag, such a beautiful colours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena! Yes, the colors are beautiful. I love the contrast between the turquoise and lime green.

      Delete
  5. Love your work, Norma! The accent fabric is PERFECT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Janelle. I'm glad it worked out nice. I see more of these Totes on my future.

      Delete
  6. I love the simplicity of this bag becasue you can really play around with fabrics and designs. I love your fabric and adore those colours. My first one I made with 3 coloured upholstery fabrics which I pieced together into stripes that went across the bag and I used soft and stable. It gave the bag a lovely feeling but I'm sure it would look good with fusible fleece too. I might try it out on my next one. I wish I could do rivets. No matter how much I try they either fall off or I press them too hard and they come out all squashed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is just simple and elegant and a blank canvas for us creative people!

      Delete
  7. Norma, this is beautiful! I've sewn one TMT and gave it away to a relative, but I so wanted to keep it! I used Shape Flex, Peltex, and automotive headliner to give my bag shape and support. Really need to make myself one soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must make one for yourself! Is a very lovely design!

      Delete