Friday, September 19, 2014

Go Go Bag

It's been quite a while since I got Sara Lawson's first book Big City Bags. I've already made two bags from the book: The Piccadilly Circus Bag (blogged here) and The Chandelier Swing Bag (blogged here). They were both made on December 2013. There are twelve different bags to choose from in the book. The  first part of the book gives you some general bag making techniques and then you have the instructions for all the bags.

So I finally made another one: The Go Go Bag. This is what I'll call a messenger type bag. The final size is 12" wide by 9" tall by 2" front to back. So is not really a small bag but if you're going to call it messenger then it'll be on the small side. Great size for a purse. The great thing with my version is that I used some of Sara's own fabrics from her Jungle Ave. Collection: Word on the Street and Dotted Boulevard. These two prints I loved since I first saw the collection so I got some. So this one is an all Sara design!!




 I made a couple of modifications. First since I was going to use a tuck/catch closure instead of a twist closure I thought it will look better if I omitted part of the front accent piece which is sort of a middle strap where the twist lock will go. The second modification is in the strap. Instead of a removable strap, I made it fixed but adjustable for either shoulder or across the body alternatives. I should mention that I only used 1/2 yard of the dotted black print.


At the back there's a zipper pocket. Easy access to keys, cellphone or other. I hanged a small bead from the zipper head.


 I used gray color lining for the inside. I read somewhere about not making the inside with black or dark lining so things can be seen easier when reaching in. The back of the flap is a solid black. Inside there are two pockets: a zippered one and a slip with a pen compartment. The instructions on the book just call for the two ( one inside one outside) zippered pockets but I added the slip pocket. Why not have another one?!


The instructions where very easy to follow and you get a great bag. The part that might be challenging for some is the curvy accent on the flap. I noticed the size provides for an electronic tablet to fit inside, even a full size iPad. You might want to use a case for them for protection from the other things in the bag.

I'll be linking this post to Craft Buds Craft Book Month . All of us have several craft books sitting around our house. So go visit Craft Buds and link up your craft book project during September 1-30, and you'll automatically be entered to win some fantastic prizes from the Craft Book Month sponsors! Go ahead and get busy!!

12 comments:

  1. As always your work is gorgeous. Love how well the two fabrics work together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I guess they work together well because they're from the same collection. Although these two are the ones I love the most.

      Delete
  2. Love this one Norma! I have this bag on my to-do list. I got the book from the library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely give this one a try. There are many nice ones on the book.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful bag, Norma! I have this book and really need to try out a pattern or two soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is my third and is great. You have many options with great instructions and final results.

      Delete
  4. Stunning bag Norma, and very nice fabrics

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. I just wish they came in canvas too.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful, Norma. I, too, find these fabrics stunning. And I love the look of a thumb clasp on a bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. These were my favorite from the collection. I read Sara will be a fabric designer for Art Gallery Fabrics.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the introduction to a what seems like a great bag book. I've been working on some Amy Butler bags of late and will need something different to tackle once they're done. Great job on this project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. The book is great. Different designs and very well explained. You won't regret getting it.

      Delete