Thursday, July 3, 2014

Totes Ma Tote Bag Pattern

Today Janelle from Emmaline Bags released her pattern Totes Ma Tote Bag.

I have been waiting for this day to finally show you my version, since I had the pleasure of testing the pattern some time ago.


As you can see this pattern provides a good "blank canvas" to use any nice print fabric or patchwork. I used this canvas fabric from Premier Prints Hooty Owls Village. You might recall it from my January Bag. This was a great opportunity to use it again since the owls are big and need a good space to be displayed. The accent side strips were done with some leftover from the same fabric collection: Premier Prints Zig Zag Village Rust.


The pattern feature some straps with buckles, attached through oval grommets. I didn't have the oval grommets and living here in an island it  takes quite a bit of time to get them. So I took the opportunity to use my leather again. I cut the straps 1-1/2" wide and used rivets to attach them to the Tote. As I told Janelle I love using canvas and leather together anyway.


The Tote closes with a recessed zipper. Inside it has some great big pockets. The zippered one for stuff you want to keep out of immediate sight or secured. One of the slip pocket has a tab that closes with a magnetic snap. This one is very convenient for your tablet or other electronic gadget. Then you have another slip pocket that is divided in two sections, maybe for keys or other smaller items. So there are plenty of pockets for all kind of uses.

Here you can see I even added a leather tab to the main closure zipper. !!


For interfacing I used Pellon SF101 Woven Fusible Interfacing, Thermolam Plus and some Peltex on the bottom. I also used some bottom feet.

This pattern is very easy to follow. There are many pictures with the instructions so that you can make your Tote with no trouble. Go check Janelle's blog: here to see other tester's Totes. There are all really great, for sure.

Be sure to check back soon when I'll show you a new backpack and a little gift I gave myself!!

16 comments:

  1. I love it! It looks so sturdy! What kind if interfacing did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute, Norma. I guess one of the reasons I love this bag so much is that it is a blank canvas...that is an appropriate phrase. Do you believe how different all of the tester bags are?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all great! The design allows for many looks.

      Delete
  3. Your version is absolutely lovely! The leather makes it look so professional!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cyndi. Since I got my hands on this leather I use it whenever I can and love the look.

      Delete
  4. Thank you so much for the link, Norma, and for pattern testing! It has just turned out so gorgeous!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This bag is just great. Your fabric is so fun and cute and I love the use of the leather straps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you did the handles...very clever ??
    I'll have to remeber that :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I love the look of canvas and leather together.

      Delete
  7. Norma the leather and canvas a re great together. Cute owl print too.I like those rivets. One day I need to try rivets. I think rivets look the best in leather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the rivets are made for leather but why not be creative and use them in other ways! You should try them.

      Delete
  8. Norma I love the combo owl leather that you use, the bag looks great

    ReplyDelete