Monday, July 7, 2014

My gift for myself

Here it goes. I finally got my dream sewing machine! It's a Juki TL2000Qi. I ordered it from the US on the middle of June and just received it last Thursday. It was hard to find a store that will deliver to Puerto Rico. I finally got it from ShopJoya.com. They shipped it fast but I chose standard shipping and that's why it took so long. I'm not sure if it came on a boat or airplane. After all I'm on an island. But I finally got it and I'm thrilled about it. Their price was very good compared to others, even amazon.


I researched several models and brands and based my decision on the strength, ability to handle many layers, throat space, knee lifter and reliability, mostly. It has some other features that I've learned to love in these few days, like the thread cutter and of course the speed. I learned to sew on an industrial machine my grandma had. My mom also had an industrial one. I really missed that knee lifter all these years! You can see it better on this picture:


And check the difference between my Brother machine and the Juki. The throat space is the first thing you notice. Of course when someone that doesn't sew sees these two together they hardly notice the difference!!! Like my hubby! So funny! I had to show and explain the added benefits to him.


 These are the accessories included, plus the extension table and a plastic cover. I was surprised by the real screwdriver. Lol. And that walking foot... wow! I used one on my Brother machine but with this one I'm not sure I need it. I don't quilt so the quilting foot won't be used. The other foot is a 1/4" seam allowance foot that they call compensating foot. Don't know why but I googled it and found the explanation on a blog. I would've appreciate a zipper foot. Actually I'm surprise it didn't come with one included. I already purchased one. That I can't live without.


I already made a messenger bag with the Juki and it sews so smoothly!!! Wow! No fuss at all even when going through many layers. Smooth as butter!!! I know I'll still use the Brother but a lot less.

I should show you the bag I made with my Brother machine just before receiving the Juki.
It's a backpack made with Sara's pattern: The Edelweiss Bag from Sew Sweetness.


I made a big front pocket on it instead of the two smaller ones in the pattern. I also changed the way the straps are sewn in the backpack. I think this way makes it stronger. The fabric is a home dec fabric from Joann Fabrics. The backpack is available at my etsy store here.

I still have to take pictures of the messenger bag I made with the Juki. It might end of being a gift for a niece. I just have to ask her if she uses a backpack or a messenger bag for school.

I should stop blogging now and go to my Juki. I hear her calling my name!!

8 comments:

  1. Good for you, Norma! You will so appreciate the extra space when sewing bags even though your hubby doesn't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! He's getting it now that I explained. He's happy for me. I was a bit scared of buying it but don't regret it at all. I know I'll use it so much that my love for the machine will keep growing.

      Delete
  2. Great news Norma! maybe after you have had a chance to use it for a while, you can do a review for my blog....oh and yes, i know....i have been a bit slack posting the reviews lately BUT hopefully i will find some time to do so one of these days! :0

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to use it as much as I can. I'm loving it for now!

      Delete
  3. Fantastic news Norma. I'm so happy for you. It really does make such a difference having an industrial machine. I just don't know how I made bags before I got mine. Love your bag and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun sewing days with your new Juki.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I'm really enjoying it. It runs so smooth!!

      Delete
  4. that is great Norma, it looks like a wonderful sawing machine, and the space oh my, i'm jealous now LOLLL
    And the backpack is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the machine more the more I use it!!

      Delete