Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Backpack Modification

Here is a design of backpack I came up with modifying the Edelweiss Backpack from Sew Sweetness. I took the main flap and two small front pockets off and designed a big flap pleated pocket for the front. I used the same geeky fabric for the front pocket that I used for the wallet a while ago.


On the back I made some modifications mostly to make the bag stronger just in case someone wants to pack it with those heavy books you have to carry to school. The first thing was too add a strip of fabric on the top where the straps are attached. I made several seams across. Then for the bottom of the straps I added a triangle to hold the straps from the side and not the bottom of the backpack. These are also held with several seams inside.


The pleats on the front pocket allow to store some bulky stuff in it. It closes with a magnetic snap on the flap.


I thought the top of the front panel looked a bit bare so I added a piece of the print fabric, the power button. I love how it looks! Hopefully I sell it to someone for back to school. I'll be making more of these. This one is available at my Etsy Shop.

12 comments:

  1. Your backpack turned out super cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great changes !! I'll hve to remember them.
    Love the power up button :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The power button on top is my favorite thing.

      Delete
  3. It looks amazing and I love your modifications. I'll have to remember these when I make one. Your work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I'll be making more of these. I love it too.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful and I think that they are very good modifications

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. I'll be making more of these.

      Delete
  5. Great looking backpack Norma. I haven't made a backpack yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try. You'll love the results.

      Delete
  6. Haven't tried this backpack yet. Love the changes. I appreciate hearing about changes people make to patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love making the backpack. Maybe my new machine has to do with that.

      Delete