Wednesday, June 18, 2014

My June Bag

I finished the City Slicker Bag!! Yey!!

Here it is:




This pattern has many details and the result is a very professional looking purse. The instructions are very well written with details, tips and lots of pictures, as all of the Chris W Designs Patterns. You might get a bit overwhelmed by looking at it and seeing so many features but if you read and follow the instructions carefully you can make it happen and you'll feel very proud of achieving such a great result. You also have several options, starting with choosing the intermediate or advance level pattern. The difference between them is the advance uses three fabrics,  a back welt pocket and rounded strap tabs versus for the intermediate you use two fabrics, the back pocket is a simple slip pocket and the strap tabs are triangular. You can even choose to mix and match these features. So you have many options.

I used fabrics from JoAnn Fabrics. These two were sold to match and are home decorator weight. See all the fuzzy cutting I did? I chose Pellon interfacings: SF101 Woven Fusible Interfacing and Thermolam Plus Fusible. That's enough to make the purse stand on its own. I used a catch tuck closure instead of the twist lock because that's what I had in hand but I also love this closure. The front pocket is so lovely!! Is 3D and that provides lots of space. The back slip pocket is big so a big cellphone fits inside. As you can see I also used rivets. I have many of these and I'm using them whenever needed.



Then there are many pockets inside to stay organized. And using the contrast fabric for the pockets help to find them easily. I divided the slip pocket that's by the zipper pocket in three sections as suggested.



Look at this nice bottom!


Yesterday I received these geeky fabrics I ordered.





My daughter picked the top one for a wallet. I think it will look great!

 Ok, so enough blogging and now back to sewing.

8 comments:

  1. Very nice, Norma. I love the color you used and I sure did notice the fussy cutting! Having made the bag myself, I know the effort that took. Anxious to see your daughter's wallet when you finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn! I enjoyed making it and think these fabrics were great for it.

      Delete
  2. Don't you love this bag Norma? I love mine and yours is great too. It's nice to see the other version made too. I think I will make another one and mix up some of the pockets. I love how big this bag opens too. That will be a cool looking wallet in that fabric. Looking forward to seeing what you create with the other fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love how wide it opens too. It will make it easy to look for stuff inside. A wallet will look awesome. I'll put it on my list making one with the Necessary Clutch Wallet pattern. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks a lot Lorena. It took me a while to pick the fabrics but I finally got it done before the month is over.

      Delete
  4. Your bag looks so professionally made. Beautiful colours. I love the inside too, the lining fits perfectly. Of course I've yet to make mine but I'm really looking forward to making this one. Looking forward to seeing the wallet you make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria. I was a bit picky on fabric selection because I think that this style has so many features that I needed to be careful not to make it look overwhelming. I finally finished the wallet. Check my new post.

      Delete