Thursday, February 13, 2014

My February Bag

Here it is; .... finally.
I finished the Butterfly Sling Purse from the Bag of the Month Club last night.


 
Just in case you don't know this is a pattern from Emmaline Bags made for the members of the Bag of the Month Club. If you love sewing and making bags you can still enter. I used a fabric from the Robert Kaufman - Fusions Ombre Collection in brown and blue. I love the "texture" of this print and have used other from the same collection that you might remember, like my first Necessary Clutch Wallet. The instructions were great as usual. With patterns from Emmaline Bags you can expect great instructions and photos to take you step by step to finish beautiful and very well designed bags and this one is no exception. This bag has two main compartments that close with a zipper on top. Inside those compartments there are some card pockets to keep everything organized. I used a "tuck and catch" closure instead of the suggested turn lock. I took 3/4" off the closure strap for the closure to close well. This closure keeps the two main compartments together and there are also a couple of magnetic snaps. It was my first time sewing vinyl (for the ID pocket inside) and I didn't have any trouble at all following Janelle's instructions. I'll be using it again.


Have you seen the "butterfly"? I'm not sure if this is why the bag has this name but if you look at it laying down there you see the butterfly. Here in the next picture you can see how the two main compartments open up to reveal a slip pocket, for your cellphone, the ID see thru pocket and another zippered pocket. I used my go to interfacings: Pellon SF101 for lining, pockets and straps and Thermolam Plus for external pieces. I also used the Double Sided Tape, Wonder Tape to attach the zipper in the smaller zippered pocket and it helped a lot keeping everything straight.


 It was lots of fun to sew it. I kept asking myself how was it going to all be put together and when it did I just had to kept going until it was done. Like when you're reading a book and you're about to finish it and you just can't put it down. I was even a bit sleepy at the end but I couldn't stop. Here's a look inside. When I finished the bag I noticed the zippers on top were getting a bit caught on the lining since I sewed them to close to the zipper teeth. So I topstitched there seams and voila!! problem solved.





If you haven't sewn yours yet, don't wait any longer. Remember February is a short month. The instructions are great and there's nothing to fear. I'm very happy with mine.

10 comments:

  1. Norma your butterfly sling looks great. Blue and brown colors go so well with everything too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Norma! Thank you for the fantastic review. It's great to hear that you are happy with the pattern. Yes, that is why it is called the Butterfly Sling Purse! I love the fabric you used, I recognized it as yours from the wallet you made. I will have to try one with a press lock like yours too, I love it! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle. I really enjoyed sewing the purse. You are a great bag pattern designer.

      Delete
  3. Awesome job Norma! I just finished mine too! loved the pattern, that Janelle is really a smart one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Norma. It was fun to see it come together wasn't it? I see that you have been using those press locks and have wanted to try them. I really like how they look. I might have to order some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marilyn. I love to use those locks. Pretty simple to add.

      Delete