Friday, January 24, 2014

My version of Uptown Girl Bag

Today Christine from Chris W Designs introduced her new bag pattern: Uptown Girl. I love that name! It really suits the bag. This bag has a very sleek look. Simple on the outside but very well designed to organize everything inside. Christine is a genius. The pattern is written with Pleather/Leather/Faux leather and Vinyl in mind as the material to use for it but you can also choose to use fabric. I think heavier weight fabrics are best, like jean, twill or a home decorator fabric.  I chose to fabric for my version.

I had the honor of testing the pattern for her. This is my version.


I used some black twill with some contrasting houndstooth print medium weight fabric. All the topstitching was made with beige thread for a big contrast. Since I couldn't find the grommets for the handles I made some tabs and used grommets to attach them and also in the handmade handles. The handles are 1-1/2" wide.



 For interfacing I used Pellon SF101. This is really my go to interfacing to give the fabric thickness and a crisp look. Over the SF101 I also used Thermolam Plus. Those two with the fact that the twill was strong gave the bag the strength to stand on its own. I also added Peltex on the bottom.
 

 As you can see in the next picture the tabs for the handles go around the top edge to the inner facings. I was able to do this because the rivets I used are double cap (nice on both sides). The recessed zipper holds your belongings nicely in the inside.


With all the pockets it has you can also keep yourself organized. There are two pockets on the outside on the sides. These are great for cellphone and keys. They are pretty deep. Then inside there's a zippered pocket that divides the interior in two big sections. Each side has a big pocket which is divided in two. In one of them I also made a pen pocket as Christine suggests. Somehow blogger is not letting me upload the picture with the interior of the bag. :-(


Go check Christine's blog to see all the other versions from the other testers and get inspired. This pattern is very versatile and you can achieve lots of different looks with it. Go get your copy here.
I still haven't listed my bag on my etsy shop. I'm still debating if I want to keep it for myself, give it as a gift or list it. I also think it will make a great teacher's bag. My usual dilemma!!

Update: The bag has been listed here in my etsy shop.

11 comments:

  1. You did a wonderful job as usual. I love the houndstooth print and love how you did your bag handle tabs. I kept mine, you should do the same, you can always make another one, this bag really is perfect for taking out shopping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never get tired of houndstooth. I think is classy. I usually use smaller bags but let's see!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE your bag Norma ....what a pity I don't get to keep the testers bags! LOLLL I could use a new bag every week until i release my next pattern! LOLLL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norma that twill looks like leather in the photos. I understand your dilemma of wanting to keep, give or sell your bag, but you can always make another one and then decide which one you want to keep for yourself, lol!!! Your bag is lovely and will go with any outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Daryl! It's true, I can always make as many as I want!!!

      Delete
  4. I love this bag! Black and white houndstooth is a favorite of mine. What kind of fabric did you use for the lining? Seeing this bag in fabric versus leather makes me think I could sew one on my machine. Seriously thinking I may need to buy this pattern now. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! This houndstooth is actually beige and black, but is equally elegant. I used a Kona solid for lining. The color is Bison, very nice!! You should get the pattern and make one. Christine's patterns are very well written.

      Delete
  5. Wow !! It's gorgeous very nit and professional look.
    What kind of tool do you use for the rivets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. Christine has a very good tutorial on her blog on how to use rivets. After you are on the blog go to the tutorials amd you'll find it. Hope that helps.

      Delete