Sunday, January 19, 2014

January Bag Pattern from Bag of the Month Club

Here's my January Bag from the Bag of the Month Club: Bye Bye Love Pattern by Sew Sweetness.
I finally had the time and energy to finish it. It's been done for a couple of days now; but I was busy sewing another bag (you'll know about it soon) before I can post about it.


After I selected the fabric (home dec Premier Prints Hooty Owl) I decided to ommit the pleat in the pockets so that I can use an owl print on each and it will look nice. I also wanted to use leather handles so the whole handles section was modified. I made the handles myself with some leather I have. After I attached them I had an idea. How about making the bag a backpack too by adding a couple D-rings at the bottom?!! I was a bit scared so I slept on it and after consulting with my "staff" (hubby and daughter) I went with it. What do you think?




For the bag to mantain it's shape better when used as a backpack the handles have to be attached to front (not back) and bottom.


I used Pellon SF101 on all exterior fabrics and ThermolamPlus on exterior body pieces. I also changed one of the interior pockets dimensions to fit an iPad as I was thinking this bag can make a great school bag.



What do you think about my bag? Have you sewn yours?

10 comments:

  1. I love to see your bags, they are always so well made and you choose lovely fabrics. I love the idea of using this one as a backpack. I've still to make mine. I'll probably be making my January bag in February.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I LOVE it Norma....what a great idea to be able to convert it to a backpack too! Love the fabric you chose and LOVE those owl pockets...too cute!! I've just finished cutting out mine....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christine. It's so fun to see all the different versions of the same bag!!

      Delete
  3. Wow !!! It's beautiful. I love the changes that you made, it's looks pretty and practical.
    Lorena xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena! I like to be as practical as I can. :-)

      Delete
  4. Great idea Norma making it convert to a backpack too! I shouldn't have made the pleats in the front pockets of the one I made so my flower print would show better like your darling owls. Well done Norma!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job Norma.. and the idea to convert to a back pack is also great. I need to make the bag too but i'm not getting inspired by my fabric stash!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Fabric selection is very important for me. The fabric and pattern need to "call" each other. Not forcing things to work is my way. :-)

      Delete