Sunday, January 5, 2014

Black and White Houndstooth Flap Purse and more

For Christmas I made this bag for my daughter. I've been so busy (and forgetful) that I hadn't taken a picture. So finally here it is.


She already had three of my bags but she wanted a medium size bag. I used this pattern that I've used before from Choly Knight's book Sewing Stylish Handbags and Totes. I love this pattern. She adores black and white houndstooth so it was easy to pick the fabric. This one is a home dec weight cotton. The black fabric is black cotton twill. I divided the flap with that wide black band to add interest.


 As you can see it has quite a gusset there. I added peltex on it so that the bag will keep it's shape. The rest has Thermolam Plus interfacing so that it's a bit padded for protecting belongings inside. The 1-1/2" wide strap is adjustable since she likes to use it shoulder or cross body. I made the same modifications as previously, I changed the under the flap double slanted pockets for one big pocket. I also added an inside zippered pocket which I always find very useful.


She has used it already and she loves it!! I also made a new wallet for her in her favorite color: purple. She inmediately moved her stuff to it. And I never took a picture. It's really a simple one.

I also made more zip pocket pouches (or cellphone wristlets) before the year ended. I used the Zip Pocket Pouch pattern from Michelle's Patterns but took the upwards flap off and used tuck closures.

 
These I made with the pattern's tall version. I also added some D-rings under the main flap so that they can be used with a wrist strap or a crossbody strap.
 
 

 



 These are available on my Etsy Shop: www.NormasBagBoutique.etsy.com

I've already cut the fabric for a Sugar and Spice bag from ChrisW Designs and will be cutting the January Bag from the Bag of the Month Club, Bye Bye Love Bag. I was very happy to receive it on my email on January 1st. It looks awesome and I'm sure it'll make a great college bag for someone. So stay tune for all the bags coming this way.

4 comments:

  1. Great bag! What did you use for interfacing, looks nice and sturdy.

    Cute pouches too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. All the exterior pieces were interfaced with Thermolam Plus and Peltex was added to the gusset to mantain the shape.

      Delete
  2. I love houndstooth, too. Gorgeous bag. I love those wristlets - those are really great and I would love to have one to take to the gym.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and commenting. You can get the pattern for the wristlet from Michelle's Patterns or I have them available at my etsy shop: www.NormasBagBoutique.etsy.com

      Delete