Friday, December 6, 2013

The Piccadilly Circus Handbag

This is another bag from Sara Lawson's new book Big-City Bags. I think the name has to do with the fabrics she used for the one in the book. This bag is the one in the cover of the book.




I used fabrics from the Kelly Panacci's Passport Collection. I bought them back in the summer and now thought they were great for this big bag. The Travel reference and images make you think that whoever is carrying the bag just came from a trip around the world. The black fabric almost work like a solid in comparison with the colorful main fabric.


The bag is 15" wide x 8" high x 5" thick. The nice accent pieces in the corners and the curvy bottom caught my attention. Also the tabs that hold the handles have such a great shape. I changed their placement to be a bit closer. That curvy bottom was a challenge because I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I just wanted everything to match as it should. There was some time spent with the seam ripper. We almost became friends. ;-) I hand basted a lot to get the results I wanted. It took more time than I thought but the end result makes it worth it.


I used some Peltex (firm interfacing) for the bottom instead that the recommended Décor Bond because that's what I had on hand and I like how it worked out. The bottom is very flat and the bag stands by itself. For the rest of the bag I used Thermolam Plus and Shape-Flex as recommended.


In the inside I made a slip pocket and a zippered pocket. I added a bit of width to them. For the slip pocket I added a closing tab with velcro and left it without any division so that a tablet can fit in it.


I also used a shorter zipper for the top ( 18"instead of 24") because I really wanted to use this kind of zipper. It worked well and the bag still opens pretty wide. To tell you the truth when I got these fabrics I liked the black more but after using it on this bag I changed my mind. They are both pretty cool.
Update: Another bag with these fabrics can be found here.


I'm entering this bag in the Sew Mama Sew Contest. There are many great bags entered already.
So, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. Love the fabric you used on the bag!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The designer ( Kelli Pannacci) just contacted me yesterday and told me she posted the bag on her facebook page and she loved it. I felt so honored!

      Delete