Thursday, October 24, 2013

My New Design

I've been working hard these days designing a bag. As you all know I love to sew bags. After all the bags I've sewn I tend to doodle sometimes (mostly late at night) about features I will like together.

Last year for Purse Palooza 2012 I designed this bag. Also here. It closes with a magnetic snap and it has a front hidden zipper pocket. The zipper is right under the solid black stripe. It's a small crossbody bag. At the moment I called it Dot Bag.

It wasn't until the second one I sew that I made a pattern for it. Somehow I haven't sewn any more of them but not because I don't like it. My excuse: There are so many great bag patterns out there from great designers that I've been busy using them. Some I've sewn a bunch of times, like the Two Zip Hipster by Dog Under my Desk and The Necessary Clutch Wallet by Emmaline Bags. I even own some designer patterns that I really want to sew and have not gotten to them, like the Olivia Bag from Chris W. Designs and the Daytripper from Dog Under my Desk. Other patterns I'm yet to buy but are on my list until I get to use the ones I already have (should I wait to buy them?).

So as I was saying I doodle some bags... (do I have ADD: Attention Deficit Disorder? :-)) I really wanted to at least try to make one of the doodles a reality for this year's Purse Palooza 2013 (it's almost getting to an end). So that's what I've been doing: preparing a pattern, choosing fabric, choosing hardware, writing some instructions and notes to myself, cutting fabric, etc. I got to the sewing machine on Tuesday and decided I will finish sewing the same day. By the end of the day I realized the pattern was smaller than what I had on my mind for the bag (much smaller). All the pieces were fused with interfacing and I was to far to stop. So I just finished it. I inmediately (late at night) blew up the size and made the main piece pattern again. Yesterday I cut, fused and started sewing and I was very happy with what I saw (what I sew, LOL, get it?). Today I finished it and took some pictures to share with you. So here is what I finished today. Ta da....

The front

 
The back

Closer look
 
Inside (Opens Wide)
 
Features:
*Closes with a top zipper
*Double straps that are held by some D-rings
*Front flap pocket: maybe for cellphone since it's easy access
*Back Zippered Pocket: maybe for keys so are at easy reach but secured
*Inside Zippered Pocket: "Every lady needs a zippered pocket inside".  I liked this phrase I read at a blog and now I forgot which blog was and who said it. I think it was Samantha from At Home with MrsH.

Did you noticed how I like pockets?
I like that the top opens wide.

Ok! I'll show you the small (tiny) version that I made first. It has the same features...but smaller.

 

Want to see the size difference? LOL Go ahead and laugh!!


I'll be sewing more of the regular version for my shop. This time I was really set on using this fabric: Timeless Treasures House Designer - Eclipse Collection - Overlapping Geo in Grey. That's why they are both with the same fabric. I'll be entering the purse in Purse Palooza 2013. For now I'll call it The Elegant Flap Pocket Bag.

****Update: I added a post on how I made the top zipper closure here.

So, what do you think? Please let me know.

If you still don't please follow this blog.

Follow on Bloglovin

12 comments:

  1. I think ALL your bags are great Norma! Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine! It means a lot coming from you.
      Hugs,
      Norma

      Delete
  2. Norma the smaller bag would be great for a young girl, perhaps a granddaughter or niece? I like the fabric choice and the bag is not only great looking, but so functional too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot! I like functional bags and I was trying to think on where things will go as I was designing it.

      Delete
  3. Great bag! I especially like the big version and all the pockets. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I just love pockets to keep everything organized.

      Delete
  4. Not only do you make beautiful bags from bought patterns but you design beautiful bags too. I love it.



    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice !!! It's simple but functional, that's perfect
    You sale the pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorena. I'm glad you started following my blog. I still don't sell the pattern. I'm considering going into pattern design. Who knows!!

      Delete